Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 7th largest financial group in the world. Across the globe, we're 160,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
With a vision to be the world's most trusted financial group, it's part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. This means investing in talent, technologies, and tools that empower you to own your career.
Join MUFG, where being inspired is expected and making a meaningful impact is rewarded.
Head of Accounting Policy - Director
OVERVIEW OF THE DEPARTMENT/SECTION
MUFG (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group) is one of the world's leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with approximately 350 years of history, MUFG is a global network with around 2,300 offices in over 50 countries including the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Asia and Oceania, and East Asia.. The group has over 150,000 employees, offering services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
As one of the top financial groups globally with a vision to be the world's most trusted, we want to attract, nurture and retain the most talented individuals in the market. The size and range of MUFG's global business creates opportunities for our employees to stretch themselves and reap the rewards, whilst our common values, to behave with integrity and responsibility, and to build a culture which is fair, transparent, and honest, underpin everything that we do. We aim to be the financial partner of choice for our clients, whatever their requirements, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
MUFG's shares trade on the Tokyo, Nagoya, and New York (NYSE: MTU) stock exchanges. The group's operating companies include, but are not limited to, MUFG Bank, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking (Japan's leading trust bank), Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Holdings (one of Japan's largest securities firms), and MUFG Americas Holdings.
Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
Finance is responsible for the effective financial management and stewardship of the detailed accounting records, general ledger reporting, budgeting and forecasting, and tax affairs of the company. The Financial Reporting team are responsible for the annual and interim published financial statements, interaction and management of the external audit process, monthly balance sheet control and reporting and quarterly reporting to head office in Tokyo.
Main Purpose of the Role
To lead the Accounting Policy Team and to provide technical accounting advice across EMEA & International business units by reference to relevant accounting GAAP.
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
- Providing technical accounting advice in respect of all of the MUFG EMEA & International entities activities
- Partnering with Front Office to advise on the accounting implications of their business and actively ensuring that they are aware of all forthcoming accounting changes and their impacts
- Advising on accounting policy for all new products, restructurings and complex transactions
- Provide training to both the front and back office on accounting developments
- Active engagement with external auditors on all policy matters
- Issuing new accounting policies under IFRS
- EMEA and International Lead on climate related disclosures across jurisdictions against the various frameworks
- EMEA and International Lead on MUFG Group wide transition to IFRS as the primary GAAP
- Setting of detailed guidance to supplement HO Accounting policy for IFRS, JGAAP & USGAAP
- Advising on accounting and classification for consolidation reporting under IFRS, UK, US and Japanese GAAP
- Reviewing all disclosures in the Company's Financial Statements to ensure compliance with best practice
- Accounting Policy control for VIE assessment & New Product assessment
- Key Finance SME on MUFG-wide projects
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Big 4 trained preferred and ACA/ACCA qualified
- Financial instruments experience
- A keen interest in Financial Reporting, with experience of preparing financial statement disclosures
- Solid knowledge of IFRS required
- Experience of working in a multi-GAAP Group function desirable
- Familiarity with working with very large volumes of complex data
- Experience of using Business Intelligent tools in developing automated reporting solutions
- Competent user of Microsoft Office with advanced Excel skills
- Prior management experience
- Personal alignment to MUFG Values
- Integrity & Responsibility
- Professionalism & Teamwork
- Challenge ourselves to grow
- Personal alignment to EMEA Cultural Principles
- Client Centric
- People Focused
- Listen Up, Speak Up
- Innovate & Simplify
- Own & Execute
- A confident approach, with the ability to provide clear direction to your team
- Excellent managerial/leadership experience
- The ability to lead a high performing team
- A strategic approach, with the ability to lead and motivate your team
- The ability to articulate and implement the vision/strategy for the Finance department
PERFORMANCE AND DUTIES
The role holder will be assessed in accordance with their employing entity's performance framework and process with relevant input obtained from the dual hatting entity as relevant.
As duties and responsibilities change, the will be reviewed and emended in consultation with the role holder. The role holder will carry out other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the role as requested by their line manager or Department Head.
MANAGING CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
- The role holder will have responsibilities for both MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will be required to perform their duties and responsibilities on an entity neutral basis, without favour.
- The role holder is required to follow regulatory requirements applicable to ensure each business is appropriately supported and to maintain the legal entity integrity of each of MUFG Bank and MUS.
- Working terms are dictated by functional mandates, the terms of the Dual-Hat Arrangement Agreement in place between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc and any other relevant agreements entered into between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will have responsibility for identifying and resolving where there may be a difference or conflict in needs between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc, escalating to their manager where required.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.