Indirect Tax Manager - Transactions
We have a specialist Indirect tax team in London embedded in the International Tax and Transactions Services team, focused on Transactions, Post Deal Services and Restructuring. The business has been growing strongly over the years and the team requires new talent to provide VAT management in relation to these focus areas. The Opportunity
The role will focus on a range of transaction related issues including diligence on mergers, acquisitions and disposals, structuring, efficient recovery of taxes and post deal services where possible. You will be applying VAT technical knowledge to often complex commercial scenarios across a wide range of markets and industries, as well as managing team members, internal stakeholders and external clients where appropriate. Typical transaction projects can be national to global, buy side or sell side and are often fast-moving so you will experience lots of variety.
The role also extends to businesses in some distress needing advice and assistance, through to formal insolvency appointments where EY is responsible for managing the businesses through to their eventual sale or dissolution.
Our VAT transaction team works alongside a dedicated international tax and transaction tax team that support some of the largest Corporate and Private Equity businesses, providing an extensive range of business sector experiences.
We are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious, enthusiastic, flexible and hard-working tax manager who is looking for a challenging career move and the opportunity to establish themselves as a leading transaction VAT specialist. You must also be capable of prioritisation and managing multiple projects at once and have a broad base of VAT knowledge and advisory experience.
A minor part of the role will also be to manage compliance obligations, particularly where EY has been appointed over an insolvent company. This entails working with our insolvency colleagues and managing team members to collect, collate and review VAT return data to be reported to HMRC, as well as ensuring that HMRC enquiries are concluded in a satisfactory manner.
Modern tax regulations are highly complex and dynamic. As a tax professional at Ernst & Young, you'll gain the VAT technical knowledge and industry experience you need to help clients manage their tax obligations effectively and enhance their financial performance. In turn, we'll help you achieve your potential by giving you business advisory experience and professional development. Our senior tax professionals will support you throughout your career, helping you to grow and become a leader in the tax profession. Your client responsibilities
Skills & Attributes
- Build and maintain tax relationships with clients (primarily internal) and provide high levels of client service
- Build relationships both within the firm and externally with clients, identifying opportunities and managing expectations
- Contribute to winning new work by proactively managing existing internal networks and contribute to winning new clients.
- Manage the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach taken
- Responsible for managing team members to meet project deadlines and HMRC liaison where appropriate
- Key member of one of the client service groups providing full tax services to a client portfolio.
What working at EY offers
- Broad UK VAT technical knowledge, including relevant VAT advisory experience
- Previous experience working in the transactions environment, e.g. due diligence projects, recovery of VAT on transaction costs, will be useful
- Minimum 5 years UK (or EU) VAT experience.
- Experience working for a large firm is preferable but not essential (we will consider candidates from professional services or law firms as well as HMRC)
- Ability to build strong client relationships, both internal and external
- Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral, confident leading calls
- Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review and know when to refer to sector VAT/indirect tax specialists
- Able to balance attention to detail with consideration of whether the issue is material and the bigger commercial picture
- Client focused and commercially aware
- Relationship management skills with ability to manage client expectations
- Team player with ability to build effective relationships at all levels
- Project management skills, plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines, be flexible, monitor budgets and handle multiple ongoing projects.
- People management skills to ensure project deadlines are met within the team’s internal review process.
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Commitment for support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible Apply Now Who we are
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.