Askham Bryan College is a specialist land-based college based across the North of England with centres in York, Middlesbrough, Saltaire, Wakefield and Newcastle.
We offer a wide-ranging curriculum to our Further Education students, including Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Management, Countryside and the Environment, Engineering, Equine, Floristry, Motorsport, Outdoor Adventure Sport, Sports Development, Coaching and Fitness, Uniformed Public Services and Veterinary Nursing.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual looking for a varied role within finance based in the York campus. You will play a crucial role in supporting the Finance team to ensure the smooth operation of administrative functions related to finance.
In the capacity of Finance Assistant, you must have meticulous attention to detail, proficiency in financial processes, and a knack for problem-solving.
We are in search of an individual who demonstrates flexibility and strong organisational abilities to ensure seamless financial operations within the College finance office.
Reporting to the Head of Finance, the successful candidate will be responsible for a range of core financial activities for all sites of the College including all areas of the cashbook, petty cash processing and reconciliations, processing weekly BACs run payments, Preparing and maintaining spreadsheet analyses.
The salary is dependent on qualifications and experience.
We define the values and qualities that we require from our people using the Askham Bryan College DNA. Hardwired in to what we do, our DNA strands ensure that all colleagues are committed to delivering with purpose, taking ownership, building trust and always learning.Main Purpose of the role
As Finance Assistant, you must have meticulous attention to detail, proficiency in financial processes, and a knack for problem-solving. We are in search of an individual who demonstrates flexibility and strong organisational abilities to ensure seamless financial operations within the College finance office.
Reporting to the Head of finance the Role will provide administrative support, coordinating various finance services. Collaborating closely with Purchase Ledger and Credit Control to deliver a high-quality and efficient finance service aligned with the College's requirements. You will play a crucial role in supporting the Finance team to ensure the smooth operation of administrative functions related to finance with a range of core financial activities including all areas of the cashbook, petty cash, support for accounts payable and accounts receivable as well as general administration to support the finance team. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual looking for a varied role within finance.Key Tasks /
All tasks to be carried out in a consistent manner with the corporation's culture.
- Processing cashbook transactions for 3 companies within the Group
- Reconciling all group bank accounts and processing bank payments via online banking
- Processing of credit/debit card receipts and store payments, petty cash claims and managing monthly reconciliations
- Process bursary payments, reconcile bursary income and payments and deal with associated queries
- Setting up online store products and events and dealing with associated queries
- Dealing with incoming emails to ensure queries and invoices are dealt with quickly and efficiently
- Dealing with enquiries from students, staff, parents and customers by telephone and in person in an efficient and helpful manner
- Processing monthly journals and transfers
- Assisting in the reconciliation of month end Balance Sheet reconciliations
- Providing support to the accounts payable function processing supplier invoices, payments runs, opening new accounts and resolving queries
- Providing support to the accounts receivable function processing receipts, communicating with debtors and dealing with queries
- Assisting with the student cash counter duties and banking as required
- Supporting the Finance Team and Head of Finance with ad-hoc duties
- Contribute to the development, implementation and review of procedures to maintain financial records
- To cover for staff holidays or sickness and assist other finance staff when required
- Ordering stationery supplies and arranging the maintenance of office equipment
- To perform any duties required by the Head of Finance or other senior finance staff that reasonably correspond to the responsibilities of this post
- Working 37 hours per week the post holder will be expected to work flexibly.
- Based at our York campus but may from time to time be required to visit other sites
- Provision of first point of call for queries from staff and students, stakeholders and departmental colleagues
Supporting College Goals and Values - all roles
- Finance team
- Liaise with staff, students, parents, stakeholders, visitors and departmental colleagues, curriculum areas and departmental managers
- External contractors, suppliers and customers
- External agencies e.g. auditors, bank
In addition to the particular requirements and characteristics of individual roles, all people employed by Askham Bryan College are expected to actively support the achievement of the College's goals and, at all times, both internally and externally, to behave in a manner consistent with the College's mission and values.
- Performing your role and delivering your service in a way that helps the College achieve its strategic objectives and annual development and improvement plans - taking account of available resources and national developments.
- Promoting the image of the College as one that is committed to the highest standards of delivery and service.
- Sharing the College's commitment to safeguarding and prioritising the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and demonstrating it in your day to day work.
- Sharing and prioritising the effective implementation of the College's Equality and Diversity Policy.
- Promoting and implementing best practice in Health and Safety,
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, volunteers and partners to share this commitment. The Governors and Staff at Askham Bryan College regard each learner as a unique individual and therefore seek to support learner development in ways, which will foster security, confidence and independence. We recognise that high self-esteem, peer support, a secure College environment and clear lines of communication with trusted adults helps all young people and adults particularly those at risk or suffering abuse. These are regarded as central to the wellbeing of the individual and are therefore seen to be an intrinsic part of all aspects of the curriculum and ethos.Specific measures relating to pre-employment checks:We may undertake online searches on internet activity as part of our pre-recruitment checks. We ask applicants for details of any convictions and cautions, regardless of whether these have been deemed as "spent". It is a condition of employment that applicants provide these details. We undertake Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checks for prospective employees. Please note that it is an offence to apply for a regulated role if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity involving children or vulnerable adults.
Note on "regulated activity": You are engaging in a regulated activity if you:
- Will be responsible, on a regular basis in a school or college, for teaching, training instructing, caring for or supervising children or vulnerable adults;
- Will be working on a regular basis in a specified establishment, such as a school, or in connection with the purposes of the establishment, where the work gives opportunity for contact with children or vulnerable adults; or
- Engage in intimate or personal care or healthcare or any overnight activity, even if this happens only once.