78222- Assistant Quantity Surveyor
This Assistant Quantity Surveyor will report to the Commercial Manager and will work within Commercial Services team ,based in our Bury St Edmunds office. You will be a permanent employee.
You will attract a salary dependent on your experience and a bonus of 3%. Close Date: 22/02/2024
We also provide the following additional benefits
Nature and Scope:
- Annual Leave
- Personal Pension Plan - Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On - scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
The Commercial Management Team within the Connections 'Projects' is responsible for the financial and regulatory reporting for Connections 'Projects' for all three DNO areas (East Anglia, London & South-East) within UKPN. This role is based in Bury St Edmunds but will require some travel across the UKPN geographic area.
The role of the Assistant Quantity Surveyor / Assistant Commercial Analyst is to support the Commercial Manager to deliver improved financial performance and ensure compliance with regulatory reporting requirements.
We ask that you have a good level of knowledge and competence of analysing financial data from different formats to enable it to be compared and validated and conclusions reached in respect of the reasons.
You will not be involved in commercial contract activities with external suppliers, so is unlikely to be suitable for applicants who have a degree in Quantity Surveying or wishing to become a qualified commercial Quantity Surveyor.Job Purpose:
The main activity involves financially reviewing completed jobs by comparing the planned work and costs with the actual work completed and costs incurred. The objective is to identify any differences and provide validation of the reasons for any cost differences.
This completes the feedback process of reviewing what work is planned by the Designer and what physical work has been undertaken by the operational teams to deliver the works to try and ensure that both are as cost efficient as possible and provide objective feedback into pricing decisions.Principal Accountabilities:
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & CompetenciesEssential
- Undertake financial analysis and technical reviews of Connections jobs to connect electricity supplies to compare the planned activities and costs with the actual work undertaken and costs incurred.
- Review ongoing 'loss-making' jobs to try and identify if there are valid mitigating actions.
- Improve the accuracy of cost allocation and pricing to minimise the level of WIP and cost differences.
- Produce and share objective feedback with Designers and Field Engineers to help understand cost differences and improve cost efficiency.
- Manage a specific geographic area within an operational region and communicate the understanding through review and feedback.
- Help facilitate meetings with the Design team and Field Engineers in respect of understanding cost differences and prevent re-occurrences.
- Collate and undertake cost reconciliations so that relevant chargeable cost differences are recovered from or returned to Customers.
- Follow the 'Project Closure' process to ensure that the Regulatory reporting requirements are met.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Competence in using Excel and the ability to compile and analyse financial data to identify differences.
- Attention to detail to ensure accurate and robust review and compilation of data as credibility and integrity is essential.
- Confidence to challenge internal customers and partners to take appropriate actions and apply commercial logic.
- Ability to build good working relationships with other staff and other teams within UK Power Networks.
- Experience compiling reports using financial data.