This is a varied role covering several aspects of the day to day running of a busy law firm including:
- End to End management of the billing process within your designated sector/team.
- Delivering accurate and timely billing ensuring bill generation is in line with client requirements and contracts.
- Liaising directly with partners and the wider business to ensure the correct charge rates are allocated to the clients / matters;
- Managing discounts and rebates where applicable, liaising with the fee earners to agree the amounts and then the cashiers to ensure it is paid promptly;
- Proactively maintaining a record of fixed fee matters, and billing each month before providing timely and tracking reports to the client lead.
- Ensuring time/disbursement write-offs are correctly authorised as per company policy and promptly affected;
- Enquiring of matter supervisors (partners and senior fee earners) with regards to old WIP and old disbursements or expenses;
- Liaising with cashiers and credit control in relation to payment queries;
- Producing relevant reporting for fee earners, partners and clients showing levels of billings appropriately analysed as required;
- Liaising with client accounts payable as necessary;
- Raising credit notes as required;
- Ensuring VAT rules are correctly interpreted and applied;
- Liaising with the CMI team to ensure matters correctly set-up and billed on time;
- Escalating any matters that may hinder the billing process;
- Providing analyses as required from time to time.
- Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Head of Billing, or the Director of Finance
- As part of our approach in developing staff there will be opportunities to experience other areas of work within the Finance function, shadowing staff in related areas and covering for holiday and other absences.
- The introduction of the new PMS allowed for greater automation of the overall billing process and all billers will be expected to input into the process of designing efficient systems.
- At month end or year-end there may be a need to work beyond the standard hours and billers will be expected to arrange matters to accommodate this need.
Skills and Experience
Candidates should ideally have:
- Previous experience of working in a legal accounting environment or Billing environment.
- Strong administration and organisational skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Strong Excel skills;
- Self-disciplined and the ability to prioritise workloads independently to tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a wider team
- The ability to work calmly under pressure;
Candidates will also be expected to demonstrate that they are:
- Professional and self-motivated;
- Proactive in their approach;
- Willing to learn and develop; and
- Able to work in a busy, professional environment;
- A team player.
Capsticks is an inclusive employer
At Capsticks we value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive and supportive working environment where everyone is able to be themselves and reach their full potential. Capsticks is committed to providing equal opportunities for all and therefore we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, background, culture, ethnicity, race, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, neurodiversity, religion and beliefs.
We will make reasonable adjustments to our application and interview process to ensure that you have the best chance of success. We understand that there's not a "one size fits all" approach to adjustments so our team will work with you individually to understand more about your requirements.