The NSTA’s hybrid working includes an expectation for staff to spend 40% of their time in the office. Brief overview of role
Due to the increased demand on the internal Finance team and internal promotions we have a great opportunity for a highly motivated and results focused Finance Business Partner to support our business decision and on making, supporting the Head of Finance. The key focus is the supporting decision making, analysis, production of the monthly management accounts for the leadership team, board and DESNZ and acting as business partner to the various directorates and stakeholders within NSTA, including preparing and discussing financial management reports.
NSTA Finance team have embarked on a process automation journey to benefit not only the function but the rest of the organisation. This role will take a proactive role in this automation project, and we are looking for someone with passion, drive and a curiosity to challenge and ask questions that bring meaning to your outputs and analysis. You will also be responsible for developing and maintaining robust relationships with stakeholders at all levels across the NSTA, interfacing regularly with Senior Business Leaders.
This role offers the chance to add real business value in supporting the delivery of the NSTA’s objectives and the opportunity to build strong and wide-ranging networks within the organisation. Position is varied in nature and will suit a qualified Accountant who is both technically competent and commercially aware. Detailed job description and key responsibilities
Specialist Skills, Qualifications, Experience, Licenses, Memberships or Language
- The key aspects of the role will include:
- Produce Monthly Management Accounts
- Produce monthly Board and Directorate reporting for Leadership Team
- Business partnering with the various directorates and stakeholders within the NSTA, including providing budget reports and running monthly meetings to go over actual v’s budgeted spend on a monthly and year to date basis.
- Submit financial returns to DESNZ monthly and, as and when required.
- Assist with the preparation of financial information to support the audit and annual financial statements.
- Preparing the annual and in year revised budgets to the leadership team, including preparing the accompanying papers
- Preparing the quarterly forecasts to the leadership team, including preparing the accompanying paper
- Attendance at directorate meetings.
- Assisting in the preparation and provision of information for auditors, both internal and external and other stakeholders.
- Input into key risks of the business, including mitigating financial actions and managing the list of cost pressures and purchase order requests.
- Preparing FOI’s as and when required.
- Provide cover for all finance team members as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Fully qualified accountant and hold a professional ICAEW, CCAB, CIMA or equivalent accounting qualification.
- Experience of preparing management accounts and budget reports.
- Experience in providing business partnering services across all levels of the organisation to a high standard.
- Demonstrate a technically sound knowledge of generally accepted accounting practice.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple priorities whilst maintaining accuracy and attention to detail. Good organisation and time management skills are essential to this role. Prioritising to most important task is vital to success.
- Experience to an advanced level in Microsoft Excel and good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office applications
- Capable of communicating financial information to different audiences
- Strong listening skills with the ability to understand the task at hand quickly.
- Self-motivated and able to use initiative.
- High level of communicating verbally and in written forms
- Ability to negotiate and influence.
- Caring and supportive mindset with can do attitude.
- Experience of working as part of a small finance team within a small or medium sized enterprise.
- Experience of working in finance within public sector.
- VAT experience
- Willingness to support the team in periods of peak demand and covering team members roles at short notice.
- Experience of PowerBI
- Experience in MS Dynamics
- Knowledge of or exposure to Automating finance systems