From day one, our mission has been to create an independent business with a unique culture - one that is controlled by the people who work for it. Finding the most talented and entrepreneurial people has always been key to our success.
People come to Howden for lots of different reasons, but they stay for the same one: our culture. That's what sets us apart, and why we nurture and retain the best talent in the market. Whatever your priorities - work/life balance, career progression, sustainability, volunteering - you'll find like-minded people driving change at Howden.
What's the role?
The job holder is responsible for advising clients within the small to medium enterprise (SME) sector on their employee benefits programs, with a preferred specialist knowledge of Group Risk, and or Healthcare. This opportunity is to join a dynamic division within Howden Employee Benefits and Wellbeing.
You will be expected to manage client relationships and manage policies in Group Risk and or Healthcare, as well as develop new opportunities across the broad spectrum of Employee Benefits. Managing a portfolio of clients and the responsibility to deliver a personal account development new business budget. The role will include elements of both personal and scheme operations but some additional support will be provided by the SME Operations team.
What will you be doing?
- Be the first point of contact for clients. Understand the sector and benefits offered. Be prepared to respond quickly and accurately to client queries.
- Builds a robust system for ensuring appropriate management of consultancy (and administration where required) tasks including proactive follow up with clients and insurers, keeping appropriate colleagues appraised at all times.
- Build and lead the relationship with a portfolio of SME clients whilst providing advice on specific insurance products.
- Provide all technical advice to clients on the policies you are responsible for, seeking assistance from colleagues where appropriate.
- Work closely with the SME Operations Team to ensure all renewal, reviews, claims and medical underwriting are completed in a timely manner to meet clients' needs.
- Proactively build on existing external relationships with clients, prospects and insurers.
- Hold a broad knowledge of insurers' propositions and differences to provide the most appropriate advice for clients.
- Be comfortable in ensuring we are provided with an appropriate level of remuneration for the work undertaken across HEBW.
- Applicants will need to be proficient in advising clients in Group Risk, and or Healthcare, along with a knowledge of broader Employee Benefits, including Wellbeing and Pensions. In addition, albeit not essential, you will have an awareness of the other areas of business where the group could support in the General Insurance sector.
Environment, Customer Focus and Relationships:
- The exceptional customer experience that you provide will drive improved retention and enables the opportunity for cross and upselling of our business portfolio of solutions.
- You will work closely with the SME Operations Team to ensure that the clients' group policies are proactively managed and needs met out in accordance with relevant policies. The job holder may also be required to provide support to their line manager in relation to nominated business projects.
- You build strong internal, client and provider relationships based on respect that develops and builds loyalty, retention and increased client benefit spend.
Market Knowledge & Technology:
- You stay up to date and proactively seek to broaden your market knowledge and understanding of key trends.
- You understand the need for accurate client data in the systems including contacts, existing portfolios, markets and partners.
- You understand the scope and advantage of our technology platforms, such as "Empower", "Hubspot" and "EPIC", to client's and the business' needs.
Compliance and Personal Development:
The Board of each Operating Entity requires the highest standards of corporate governance, operational excellence and financial reporting throughout the Group from all its Directors and employees. Specifically:
- You are aware of the need and sources of compliance and understand and apply compliance.
- You ensure that HR and Training & Competency records are up to date and meet the Operating Entity and/or Group's requirements.
- You are able to adapt best practice to the situation in hand within the framework of compliance.
- Strict adherence to the Group Employee Code of Conduct which strongly aligns to the FCA's code of conduct that all regulated entities must adhere to under the SM&CR.
- Completes all relevant regulatory training and ensure you remain competent to carry out role
What do we need from you?
- Demonstrable experience advising clients in Group Risk, and advising on wider Employee Benefits would be beneficial.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of group risk policies is preferred, primarily death in service, income protection, critical illness and other employee benefits.
- Experience in consultancy or administration. You can create, write and manipulate template reports.
- You take ownership of your portfolio and proactively manage the associated workload, flagging client risks and opportunities.
- CII GR1 qualified, preferred
Our Culture: People First
We've travelled far since opening our first office in 1994. Back then we were local experts - based in London, with direct access to the world's biggest insurance market. We're still locals, and we still deliver the right advice and the right insurance to our clients. But now, we're local all over the world. With 15,000 global colleagues and a partner network spanning more than 100 territories, we are the largest independent insurance broker in the world. But our values haven't changed since day one, when we set out to create a company grounded in:
- An employee-ownership model
- Aligned external investors
- The trust and integrity born of friendship
Our focus on being a people-first business has always been at the very heart of Howden. Our vision was to create an independent business with a unique culture; one that would survive and thrive as a business controlled by the people working for it. Our employee ownership model sets us apart in the market. It's created a culture of collaboration and innovation, where we're driven to think bigger and empowered to challenge convention.
Our flat structure and entrepreneurial spirit help us attract the best people and empower them to be the best version of themselves. And when we bring in and nurture great talent, more follows. That makes us better - and that's better for everyone.
Diversity & Inclusion
At Howden we consider our people our chief competitive advantage and as such we treat colleagues, candidates, clients, and business partners with equality, fairness and respect, regardless of their age, disability, race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or family circumstances.