The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is looking for a Chief Audit & Compliance Officer to provide vision, leadership, and strategic direction for the Departments Internal Audit and Compliance divisions.
If you have an inordinate passion for excellence and a commitment to public service, we invite you to pursue this job and the opportunity to work alongside highly accomplished professionals at TxDOT.
Provides vision, leadership and strategic direction for the Department’s Internal Audit and Compliance divisions. Oversees the internal audit and compliance activities to provide analyses, appraisals, recommendations, counsel, and information to assist the Texas Transportation Commission, executive management, and operating management in the effective discharge of their responsibilities.
Responsible for examining and evaluating overall Department activities in compliance with professional auditing standards and implementing and maintaining compliance programs. Reports to the Texas Transportation Commission and its Audit Subcommittee. Work requires contact with commissioners, senior executives, legislative members, and other governmental agencies. This position exercises professional judgement and legal requirements to engage and maintain relationships with the State Auditor’s Office and State and Federal Law Enforcement and their Administrative leadership. Employees at this level perform work at the highest level of discretion and independent judgement and are responsible for final outcome.
The essential duties for this job include:
- Oversees the investigation of conduct, criminal activities, allegations of wrongdoing by employees, crimes committed on department property and breaches of department policy.
- Oversees audits of claimants performing work for the Department under grants, contracts, and agreements.
- Oversees internal audits and special investigations of all functional areas of work performed by the Department.
- Oversees investigations of alleged discrimination practices, both internal and external to the Department.
- Oversees risk assessments in areas of responsibility of potential fraud, waste, and abuse, and in conjunction with the Administration develops and implements policies and procedures to identify, prevent and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse.
- Oversees the development and approval of policies and procedures for audit functions, compliance standards and program activities.
- Oversees the implementation of legislation affecting auditing activities.
- Maintains effective working relationships and communication with the Commission, Executive Administration, TxDOT personnel, other agencies and the public.
- Oversees the direction of internal and external audits to ensure compliance with professional auditing standards.
- Provides leadership on Compliance Council and makes recommendations for employee outreach and engagement on ethical issues.
- Reports results of audits and compliance activities to the Transportation Commission and/or their designee.
- Represents the Department at national, state, and local levels concerning auditing.
- Drives and travels as required to perform this function.
- Oversees the organization's compliance efforts to include the administration, investigation and enforcement of plans and policies.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
Mandatory: Bachelor's degree in accounting, Business Administration, or bachelor's or a graduate degree in a related filed.
- 10 years in Auditing, Compliance or related work. Experience can be satisfied by full-time or prorated part-time equivalent. Must have three (3) years managerial/supervisory experience.
Licenses and Certification
Must have current certification in one of the below listed professional licenses or certifications.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA).