Helia, as Australia's first Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) provider, with over 50 years expertise in the Australian housing market are in the process of re-inventing ourselves.
We exist to accelerate financial wellbeing through home ownership, now and for the future. Our mission is to create innovative and tailored solutions in partnership with our customers. We aim to do this efficiently and conveniently, leveraging state of the art technology and data solutions. Responsibilities & Functions
The Head of Finance will support the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to provide reliable and timely financial information and strategic advice to the Board and other senior leaders to enable effective decision-making and execution of strategies that will enhance business and financial performance of Helia Insurance Pty Ltd over the medium to long term.
In particular, the role will be responsible for assisting the CFO in the management and oversight of the financial accounting, financial reporting, financial systems, tax, within the Helia Finance division.
The main responsibilities to include:
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Serve as business advisor / partner to the CFO and assist in the process of providing advice to the Senior Leadership Team and the Board of Directors on the financial implications and risks related to key business issues and opportunities
- Assist the CFO in the development and implementation of financial objectives related to strategic goals and operating plans
- Provide strategic accounting advice to the CFO and assist in the setting of business strategy, goals and objectives
- Lead a team of approximately 15 employees including up to five direct reports, develop a high performing team and enhance employee engagement through regular, proactive communications, effective delegation and encouragement of business partnering
- Provide coaching and feedback to direct reports and ensure effective performance management and continued development of the team. Ensure individual development plans are in place for all team members and identify succession plans for key roles
- Assist the CFO in developing strategies and plans within the Finance department which align to the broader business strategies
- Assist the CFO in ensuring adequate protection of the Company's assets by establishing and monitoring compliance with effective controls and procedures. Ensure financial controls are strong and effective
- Ensure accurate reporting of financial results and forecasts and prepare high quality summaries of the same for the Board, Senior Leadership Team and other key stakeholders
- Ensure the company's policies and practices with respect to financial reporting comply with the requirements of the Australian Accounting Standards Board, APRA and ASIC
- Submit monthly and quarterly financial reports on actual results and financial position. Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting, compliance with applicable laws and regulations and Helia division/corporate timelines, including the APRA regulatory returns, ASIC audited financial statements, Reg AB financial statements
- Assist the CFO in setting budgets / targets
- Support business in management of expenses
- Financial operations: accounts payable, premium receipting, investment accounting, management of general ledger
- Support the implementation of IFRS17, including the associated changes to financial processes and statutory and management reporting
- Management of tax: operational, reporting, planning, and compliance
- Adhere to the compliance obligations relevant to the position; perform duties in an ethical, lawful and safe manner; undertake training as directed by the Compliance Leader; report and escalate compliance concerns, issues and failures and disclose potential conflicts of interest
- CA / CPA with ‘Big 4' experience and/or experience in large corporate tax and accounting teams
- At least 15 years professional experience, with an emphasis on accounting and tax accounting as they apply to the insurance and financial services industry
- Understanding of and experience applying AIFRS tax accounting standards
- Experience in tax and accounting compliance / planning for a consolidated group of companies
- Proven track record in managing people, programs, and processes and demonstrable experience in providing strategic financial and accounting advice to senior management and / or boards
- Demonstrated ability to be a business partner and develop effective business relationships, meeting business requirements, whilst maintaining a focus on overall strategic goals and legislative requirements
- Advanced problem solving, analytical and strategic thinking capability with a focus on business outcomes
- Effective communication and stakeholder management skills including the ability to effectively challenge, influence and negotiate desired outcomes with senior stakeholders
- High level written and verbal communication skills including an ability to explain complex accounting and tax concepts and their business impact in a way that can be easily understood by senior management without a finance background
- Highest degree of honesty and integrity
- Self-motivated but with the desire to work collaboratively and actively contribute within a specialist team to achieve targeted results
At Helia, we are building a team focused on opportunities: creating brighter futures for our people. When you come to work at Helia, you're joining an organisation that cares about what's important to you. Whether it's greater work-life balance, flexible working arrangements or looking after your wellbeing, we provide access to benefits that help support you both professionally and personally.
Helia is a place where you can grow and make a difference. We provide a great learning culture, where cross collaboration, training and innovation happens to embrace and embed a customer service culture. We are based in the heart of North Sydney, with spacious offices and some of the most fantastic views in Sydney!
If you are interested in joining a company where you can realise your full potential and grow, we would love to hear from you!
We have a diverse business community: our people, our customers and communities are reflective of this and as an organisation we are committed to continually hiring a diverse workforce. We ensure our people always feel supported and we do this by our openness to flexible work options and our commitment to inclusion, regardless of career level, life-stage, or experience.
Helia (formerly Genworth) has proudly played a pivotal role in the property market since 1965. As Australia's first Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) provider, we are a specialist in our field and are dedicated to leading the way for years to come.
For many Australians, owning your own home remains a lifetime aspiration, and we work with our customers and partners to help them achieve this dream at various stages of their home buying journey - whether they are looking to save for a deposit, purchase their first home, upgrade or manage retirement by unlocking equity in their home later in life.
We are reimagining the home ownership experience to get you there faster.
Our purpose is to accelerate financial wellbeing through home ownership, now and for the future.