Role: Head of Catastrophe Research
LondonPosition: Full time, permanent
Reporting to the Head of Risk Analytics this role will be responsible of the development and implementation of our global view of risk and has a key part to play in the future strategy of the team.About The JobWhat you'll spend your time doing:
What you’ll need:
- Management of MS AUL’s independent validation of catastrophe models, including designing testing plans, undertaking scientific tests, producing required regulatory documentation, and communicating the results to both internal and external stakeholders
- Develop catastrophe model adjustments for present-day climate conditions and future climate change scenarios
- Lead MS AUL’s Model Completeness Framework to identify and adjust for non-modelled risks
- Manage innovative research projects to assist with MS Amlin’s understanding and management of catastrophe risk (e.g. counterfactual analysis).
- Provide catastrophe risk and natural hazard expertise to internal stakeholders as required (e.g. underwriters, exposure management, catastrophe modellers).
- Represent MS Amlin at external events (e.g. conferences) and committees (e.g. Lighthill Risk Network), through participation in round tables, forums, and presentations.
- Follow the latest industry trends and new developments in natural hazards research.
- People Management - the Senior Research Analyst will report into you, and you will also support the development of junior analysts within the Risk Analytics team.
What you can expect from us:
- Demonstrable research experience (PhD preferred and insurance industry work experience) in a relevant field (e.g. meteorology, hydrology, seismology, vulnerability or similar).
- Market experience at an insurer, reinsurer, broker or cat model vendor.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication, particularly the ability to communicate complex scientific ideas to a non-technical audience.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including experience of working with large data sets and using programming packages such as R, Python and ArcGIS.
- Ability to think critically in order to form scientific and business judgements.
- Ability to manage projects and meet deadlines.
- Extensive prior experience of using and validating catastrophe models for research purposes (e.g. RMS, AIR), including knowledge of the financial module, simulation techniques and statistics, and data extraction from model tables
- Prior experience of building natural hazard models in the insurance industry or academia is a bonus .
A competitive salary and benefits package is a given, but you can also expect:
About MS Amlin
- A great team and supportive colleagues.
- An open mind (especially to new ideas and ways of doing things).
- A strong focus on diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities.
- A programme of wellbeing and mental health support.
- Employer-supported volunteering (ESV).
- Continuous learning.
- Study support.
- Structured career development.
MS Amlin is part of a global top-10 insurance group, MS&AD. We’re made up of four distinct businesses covering global reinsurance, Lloyds franchise, local specialty insurer, and business services.Conduct Rules
With the implementation of the SM&CR (Senior Managers & Certification Regime), the Financial Services and Markets Act gave the FCA new powers to write conduct rules and apply them to all employees within a firm. The Conduct Rules set basic standards of good personal conduct. They stipulate that you must:
- Act with integrity
- Act with due care, skill and diligence
- Be open and co-operative with the FCA, PRA and other regulators
- Pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly
- Observe proper standards of market conduct
- Type: Full time